Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) History
To most of us, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is brand new science. But in fact, it is not new at all. PRP was first used in open heart surgery in 1987. Since the 1990’s it has been used world-wide in the fields of Oral Surgery, Vascular Surgery and Orthopedics. Over 500,000 procedures have been safely performed to date and over the past 30 years, numerous scientific studies have documented the benefits and safety of PRP. Read more here →
Being a natural product which is obtained from your own blood, PRP can cause no allergies or toxicities and is completely safe and harm-free. Of the over 500,000 procedures that have been done, there have been no complications or serious side effects. PRP acts on cell membrane receptors to induce normal gene expression. It does not cause DNA mutations thus eliminating any worry about carcinogenesis.
Platelets are the cells in the blood responsible for tissue healing and new cell growth. When blood containing these platelets is centrifuged (as in PRP), the seven growth factors present are concentrated in a huge amount. These growth factors act as ‘fertilizer’ for our bodies stem cells.
Activation of these stem cells has many positive results:
- Synthesis of Collagen (dermal thickening and wrinkle reduction)
- Neovascularization / Formation of new blood vessels (skin’s rosy glow)
- Stimulation of fat growth (improved volume under the skin)
- Synthesis of Keratinocytes (new skin cells)
- Enhancement of Smooth Muscle (improved tone)
Cosmetically, PRP can be used either topically or subcutaneously. When used topically, the skin of the treated area is first resurfaced to produce micro-channels (with ProCell micro-needling) and then PRP is applied over top. This is known as the Vampire Facial and was made famous by Kim Kardashian in the TV episode Kim and Kourtney Take Miami. http://www.vampirefacial.com/
When used subcutaneously, known as the Vampire Facelift, the PRP is injected under the skin to lift and volumize. Both procedures are the brainchild of Dr. Charles Runels.
Visit Dr. Runels webpage “Vampire Research” for a wealth of information on this subject.
The Vampire Facial in the News: Prime Living
Therapeutically, PRP is used in Orthopedics for joint and tendon injuries (many professional athletes routinely use this to speed healing), wound and burn care and most recently, to help with male and female sexual dysfunction. These injections are known respectively as the P Shot (which addresses Erectile Dysfunction and can improve penile size) and the O Shot (which addresses dyspareunia – painful intercourse, urinary incontinence and improved orgasm).
A novel new use of PRP is for treatment of thinning hair. This is showing great promise.
The process of harvesting PRP is simple and easy:
- About 2 tablespoons of blood are drawn from the arm (just like a regular blood test).
- This is then centrifuged or spun in a special FDA approved centrifuge which performs dual spins (to concentrate the platelets four fold over baseline or to number about 1,000,000/ul).
- The PRP is then ‘activated’ with calcium chloride.
- Immediately after activation, PRP is applied topically (Vampire Facial) or injected subcutaneously (Vampire Facelift, O Shot or P Shot).
The entire treatment process is virtually painless (numbing cream is applied prior to the procedure) and only takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
Results begin to be appreciated in about 2 – 3 weeks and full effect is seen around 12 weeks. Most results last about a year or more however, depending on the correction needed, more than one treatment may be required. If this is the case, treatments are spaced about 12 weeks apart.
The results of PRP are impressive:
- Skin tone, texture and brightness are improved
- Skin is firmed and tightened
- Wrinkles and lines are softened
- Skin’s rosy glow is resumed
- Skin softness is increased
- Facial volume depletion can be improved
- Hair re-growth is stimulated
If you’re looking for a natural, safe organic treatment, the power of bio-healing with PRP could be what you’ve been waiting for!