Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
To most of us, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is brand new science. But in fact, it is not new at all. PRP was first used in open heart surgery in 1987. Since the 1990’s it has been used world-wide in the fields of Oral Surgery, Vascular Surgery and Orthopedics. Over 500,000 procedures have been safely performed to date and over the past 30 years, numerous scientific studies have documented the benefits and safety of PRP. Read more here →
Being a natural product which is obtained from your own blood, PRP can cause no allergies or toxicities and is completely safe and harm-free. Of the over 500,000 procedures that have been done, there have been no complications or serious side effects. PRP acts on cell membrane receptors to induce normal gene expression. It does not cause DNA mutations thus eliminating any worry about carcinogenesis.
PRP Mechanism of Action
Platelets are the cells in the blood responsible for tissue healing and new cell growth. When blood containing these platelets is centrifuged (as in PRP), the seven growth factors present are concentrated in a huge amount. These growth factors act as ‘fertilizer’ for our bodies stem cells.
Activation of these stem cells has many positive results:
- Synthesis of Collagen (dermal thickening and wrinkle reduction)
- Neovascularization / Formation of new blood vessels (skin’s rosy glow)
- Stimulation of fat growth (improved volume under the skin)
- Synthesis of Keratinocytes (new skin cells)
- Enhancement of Smooth Muscle (improved tone)
Cosmetically, PRP can be used either topically or subcutaneously. When used topically, the skin of the treated area is first resurfaced to produce micro-channels (with ProCell micro-needling) and then PRP is applied over top (this is also known as the Vampire Facial). PRP is injected subcutaneously when facial volume is needed (this is also known as the Vampire Facelift) and is injected under the skin much the same as Sculptra.
Therapeutically, PRP is used in Orthopedics for joint and tendon injuries (many professional athletes routinely use this to speed healing), wound and burn care and most recently, to help with male and female sexual dysfunction. These injections are known respectively as the P Shot (which addresses Erectile Dysfunction and improvement of penile size) and the O Shot (which addresses dyspareunia – painful intercourse, urinary incontinence and improved orgasm). Both the P and the O Shots are the brain child of Dr. Charles Runels.
PRP for Thinning Hair
A novel new use of PRP is for treatment of thinning hair. The demand for this is growing rapidly here at Randali Centre and has been a boon to many who suffer from hair loss (as there is so little else to offer). Treatment consists of the PRP being injected under the anesthetized skin of the scalp. Three treatment sessions spaced 4 weeks apart are recommended.
The process of harvesting PRP is simple and easy:
- About 4 tablespoons of blood are drawn from the arm (just like a regular blood test).
- This is then centrifuged or spun in a special FDA approved centrifuge. We use the Magellan centrifuge which performs dual spins and concentrates the platelets six to eight-fold over baseline or to number about 1,000,000/ul. Note: Not all centrifuges can obtain this high concentration and if the platelet number is insufficient, the results will not be optimum.
- The PRP is then ‘activated’ with calcium chloride.
- Immediately after activation, PRP is applied topically (as in the Vampire Facial) or injected subcutaneously (for the Vampire Facelift, Hair Restoration, O Shot or P Shot).
The entire treatment process is virtually painless (numbing cream is applied prior to the procedure) and only takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
Results begin to be appreciated in about 2 – 3 weeks and full effect is seen around 12 weeks. Most results last about a year or more however, depending on the correction needed, more than one treatment may be required. If this is the case, treatments are spaced about 12 weeks apart.
The results of PRP are impressive:
- Skin tone, texture and brightness are improved
- Skin is firmed and tightened
- Wrinkles and lines are softened
- Skin’s rosy glow is restored
- Skin softness is increased
- Facial volume depletion can be improved
- Hair re-growth is stimulated
If you’re looking for a natural, safe organic treatment, the power of bio-healing with PRP could be what you’ve been searching for!